The Barbarians (2004)
Videos in this documentary
Viking raids and Attila's conquests come to life in this authoritative look at some of history's most feared warriors.
* Behind the Scenes Featurette.
* Includes Genghis Kahn: Terror and Conquest BIOGRAPHY episode from A&E.
* Narrated by Clancy Brown (The Shawshank Redemption, Highlander).
They were the dreaded forces on the fringes of "civilization," the bloodthirsty warriors who defied the Roman legions and terrorized the people of Europe. They were THE BARBARIANS, and their names still evoke images of cruelty and chaos. But what do we really know of these legendary warriors?
From the frigid North Sea to the Russian steppes, this ambitious series tells the fascinating stories of four of the most fabled groups of fighters in history, tracing 1,000 years of conquest and adventure through inspired scholarship and some of the most extensive reenactments ever filmed.
* Vikings sails with the Norsemen from Arabia to the New World, stopping off for a bit of pillaging along the way.
* Goths reveals why this once-fearsome people subjected themselves to Roman rule, only to rise up again at the battle of Adrianople.
* Mongols rides with Genghis Khan and his descendants as they sweep from Asia to the heart of modern Germany in a frenzy of expansion.
* Huns probes the truth behind the mysterious warriors who were led by man whose name remains synonymous with bloodshed and destruction--Attila.
All of your favorite hordes - and their trademark refinements in the art of destruction - are covered in this smashing DVD set.
Like destructive country cousins of the great urban civilizations, the free-wheeling cultures considered barbarians - Vikings, Mongols, Huns, Saxons, Lombards and their savage brethren - were actually quite sophisticated and task-oriented. The tasks tended to be invasion, plunder, the razing of cities and capture of slaves, but that's what makes them so much fun.
For two thousand years, barbarians were the bulls in the china shop of Europe. Enjoy this exhaustively collected, authoritative survey of their respective reigns of terror from THE HISTORY CHANNEL
They came in waves, from out of the dark forests of Europe, and over the course of a millennium they drove a mighty empire to its knees. Relentless, unmerciful and united only in their hatred for Rome, each of these warrior tribes had its own violent agenda, dark rites, savage tactics, and secret weapons. This second volume in acclaimed Barbarians series from THE HISTORY CHANNEL follows four of history's most fearsome tribes: the Vandals, the Saxons, the Franks, and the Lombards, as they cut a swath of destruction through the heart of the Roman world. Produced in High Definition, BARBARIANS II recreates the world of these invaders through even more intense stunts, large-scale battle re-enactments, and a fast-paced, exciting narrative. The whistle of the war axe and the clank of the shield will ring in viewers' ears as these four programs bring the epochal clash of civilizations to life as never before.