Date Added: January 28, 2015
Recorded on April 17, 2012
Index of Topics:
1:08-Carbonyls and Strongly Basic Nucleophiles
4:01-Weakly Basic Nucleophiles
14:22-Properties of Ketones and Aldehydes
37:52-Synthesis of Aldehydes and Ketones
47:14-Reactions with Nucleophiles
54:25-Acetylene and Hydrogen Cyanide Examples
1:00:16-Workup of Cyanide Anion Addition
1:09:44-Wittig Reaction Mechanism
1:16:24-Making a Wittig Reagent
1:18:14-Wittig Reaction Examples
- Introduction to Carboxylic Acids.
- Reactivity of Carbonyl Compounds.
- Reactions of Organometallic Reagents.
- Reactions and Protecting Groups.
- Aldehydes and Ketones: Reactions.
- Formation of Imines & Enamines from Aldehydes & Ketones.
- Acid-Catalyzed Formation of Hydrates, Hemiacetals, & Acetals.
- The Chemistry of the Carboxylic Acid Family.
- Reactions of Carboxylic Acids, Esters, Amides, & Nitriles.
- Enols and Enolates.
- More Reactions of Enols and Enolates.
- The Aldol Reaction and the Michael Reaction.
- The Robinson Annulation and the Claisen Reaction.
- Introduction to Amines: Properties and Synthesis.
- Hofmann Degradation, Diazotization, & Aryl Diazonium Salts.
- Introduction to Carbohydrates: Structure and Stereochemistry
- More Structure, Stereochemistry, & Reactions of Carbohydrates.
- Amino Acids, Peptides, and Proteins.
- Organometallic Reactions in Organic Synthesis.
This is the third quarter course in the organic chemistry series. Topics covered include: Fundamental concepts relating to carbon compounds with emphasis on structural theory and the nature of chemical bonding, stereochemistry, reaction mechanisms, and spectroscopic, physical, and chemical properties of the principal classes of carbon compounds.
Organic Chemistry 51C is part of OpenChem. http://ocw.uci.edu/collections/open_chem