October 19, 2009
Physical States of Matter
Relationship between Heat and Temperature for H2O
Density of Pure Water
Density & Structure of Ice
Thermal Convection in Water
Chemical Properties of Seawater
Water: Universal solvent (almost)
Water: great at dissolving stuff
Sources of Dissolved Salts
Major Constituents: Most abundant dissolved elements & molecules
Chemical Residence Times
Lecture Notes: Lecture 11: Sediments, seawater
In this course, Prof. Edwin Schauble gives 27 video lectures on Introduction to Oceanography. This class provides a general introduction to geological, physical, chemical, and biological processes and history of Earth's global oceanic system.
•High school science background
– Math: algebra & geometry, graphs
– Metric units
– Geography: maps, Earth's major features, longitude & latitude
– Chemistry: elements, atoms, molecules, chemical equations
– Physics: matter, density, waves, velocity, energy, gravity
– Biology: genus, species, evolution, plants & animals
Original Course Name: Earth & Space Science 15: Introduction to Oceanography.
Note: Some clips and images may have been blurred or removed to avoid copyright infringement.