October 21, 2009
Major Constituents: Most abundant dissolved elements & molecules
Chemical Residence Times
What controls the density of Seawater?
Effects of Temperature & Salinity
Physical Structure of the Oceans
Ocean Water - Layered by density: The Mixed Layer, The Pycnocline and The Deep Layer
Dissolved Gases in the Ocean
Lecture Notes: Lecture 12: Seawater 2 and Seawater 3.
In this course, Prof. Edwin Schauble gives 27 video lectures on Introduction to Oceanography. This class provides a general introduction to geological, physical, chemical, and biological processes and history of Earth's global oceanic system.
•High school science background
– Math: algebra & geometry, graphs
– Metric units
– Geography: maps, Earth's major features, longitude & latitude
– Chemistry: elements, atoms, molecules, chemical equations
– Physics: matter, density, waves, velocity, energy, gravity
– Biology: genus, species, evolution, plants & animals
Original Course Name: Earth & Space Science 15: Introduction to Oceanography.
Note: Some clips and images may have been blurred or removed to avoid copyright infringement.