November 2, 2009
Currents in the Ocean
North Atlantic Surface Currents
Coriolis & currents
Drag from the wind on surface water
Wind-dragged & Basin-Edge Currents
Final result: a loop of current, a Gyre
Coriolis “Geostrophic” Response
Ocean Basin Circulation
Major Current Systems
1. North Atlantic gyre
2. South Atlantic gyre
3. North Pacific gyre
4. South Pacific gyre
5. Indian Ocean gyre
6. Antarctic Circumpolar Current
Currents on each edge of a Gyre have names.
Antarctic Circumpolar Current
Current flow rate in the Gulf Stream
Lecture Notes: Wind 3, Current. and Current.
In this course, Prof. Edwin Schauble gives 27 video lectures on Introduction to Oceanography. This class provides a general introduction to geological, physical, chemical, and biological processes and history of Earth's global oceanic system.
•High school science background
– Math: algebra & geometry, graphs
– Metric units
– Geography: maps, Earth's major features, longitude & latitude
– Chemistry: elements, atoms, molecules, chemical equations
– Physics: matter, density, waves, velocity, energy, gravity
– Biology: genus, species, evolution, plants & animals
Original Course Name: Earth & Space Science 15: Introduction to Oceanography.
Note: Some clips and images may have been blurred or removed to avoid copyright infringement.