November 9, 2009
Waves can’t transport energy as efficiently in shallow water
When Do Waves Break?
Why Do Waves Break at the Shore?
Tsunami crossing the Bay of Bengal
The Banda Aceh Tsunami
Detecting tsunami in the open ocean
TOPEX/Poseidon and Tsunami
How does a tsunami cause harm?
Tsunami waves come to shore
Is California at Risk?
Minimizing Tsunami Damage
Preventing Tsunami Damage
Tides are caused by the gravity of the Moon and Sun acting on Earth and its ocean.
Phases of the Moon
Lecture Notes: Lecture 19: Waves and Tides
In this course, Prof. Edwin Schauble gives 27 video lectures on Introduction to Oceanography. This class provides a general introduction to geological, physical, chemical, and biological processes and history of Earth's global oceanic system.
•High school science background
– Math: algebra & geometry, graphs
– Metric units
– Geography: maps, Earth's major features, longitude & latitude
– Chemistry: elements, atoms, molecules, chemical equations
– Physics: matter, density, waves, velocity, energy, gravity
– Biology: genus, species, evolution, plants & animals
Original Course Name: Earth & Space Science 15: Introduction to Oceanography.
Note: Some clips and images may have been blurred or removed to avoid copyright infringement.