September 30, 2009
Professor Edwin Schauble discusses the mechanical layers of Earth, the mantle, Earth's elevations and Ocean Basins, continental crust, Buoyancy, isostatic balance, elevation vs. oceans, abyssal hills and seamounts, continental margins, continental shelf, continental rise, submarine canyons, the unconfined tank
Lecture Notes: Lecture 3: Structure of the Earth, shape of the oceans
In this course, Prof. Edwin Schauble gives 27 video lectures on Introduction to Oceanography. This class provides a general introduction to geological, physical, chemical, and biological processes and history of Earth's global oceanic system.
•High school science background
– Math: algebra & geometry, graphs
– Metric units
– Geography: maps, Earth's major features, longitude & latitude
– Chemistry: elements, atoms, molecules, chemical equations
– Physics: matter, density, waves, velocity, energy, gravity
– Biology: genus, species, evolution, plants & animals
Original Course Name: Earth & Space Science 15: Introduction to Oceanography.
Note: Some clips and images may have been blurred or removed to avoid copyright infringement.