This is a course on Semiconductor Device Modeling by Prof. S. Karmalkar, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Madras.
At the end of this course you should be able to:
- Explain the equations, approximations and techniques available for deriving a model with specified properties, for a general device characteristic with known qualitative theory.
- Apply suitable approximations and techniques to derive the model referred to above starting from drift-diffusion transport equations (assuming these equations hold).
- Offer clues to qualitative understanding of the physics of a new device and conversion of this understanding into equations.
- Simulate characteristics of a simple device using MATLAB, SPICE and ATLAS / SYNOPSYS.
- Explain how the equations get lengthy and parameters increase in number while developing a compact model.
- List mathematical functions representing various non-linear shapes.