Stop Your Mind From Causing You to Take Profits Too Soon 
Stop Your Mind From Causing You to Take Profits Too Soon
by InformedTrades
Video Lecture 45 of 77
Not yet rated
Views: 362
Date Added: May 7, 2017

Lecture Description

Practice these concepts with a free practice charting and trading account here: bit.ly/IT-forex-demo3

For the full lesson with images, text, links, and discussion, go here: www.informedtrades.com/6605-how-stop-your-mind-making-you-take-profits-too-soon.html

For our full beginner course in technical analysis and trading, go here: www.informedtrades.com/index.php?page=freetradingcourses

And of course, don't forget to jump start your learning as a trader by registering as a member of our learning community: www.informedtrades.com

VIDEO NOTES

A lesson on psychology of trading and how it relates to people's inability to let their profits run when trading the stock, futures, or forex markets.

In yesterday's lesson we looked at how many traders use technical indicators as an additional factor they consider when deciding when to exit a trade. In today's lesson we are going to begin to move into the next phase of our series on money management, with a look at how traders go about taking profits once a position moves in their favo,r and some of the difficulties that are associated with this.

Before getting into the details of what a trailing stop is and how many traders use them, it is first important to understand the psychology behind taking profits. Develop

From the last several lessons you should not have a good understanding of some of the psychological difficulties people have in taking losses, and some of the different money management strategies that can be put into place to help overcome these difficulties that are the downfall of so many traders.

What may come as a surprise to many of you is that just as many traders have problems letting their profits run as they do in cutting their losses. To help illustrate this I am going to give a quote from one of my favorite books on money management strategies Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Dr. Van K. Tharp. When explaining this concept in his book he gives the example below:

When given a chance for "1. a sure $9000 gain or 2. a 95% chance of a $10,000 gain plus a 5% chance of no gain at all....which would you choose?"

A study which was done on this showed that 80% of the population chose the sure thing even though the second opportunity represents a $500 larger gain on average.

Similar to the way that human's are raised in a way that does not allow them to accept losses our environment also teaches us to seize opportunities quickly, or "that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush", a rule that goes against the second half of the most important rule of trading:

"Cut Your Losses and Let Your Profits Run"

With this in mind we can now move into the next phase of our series of money management with a look at some of the different ways that traders go about managing their position once it begins to move in their favor starting with a look at trailing stops.

Once a position has begun to move in a traders favor, many traders will implement a trailing stop which is basically a strategy for moving the stop they have implemented on their position up when they are long or down when they are short to lesson the loss or increase the amount of profit they will take should the market reverse and begin to move in the opposite direction of their position.

As you may realize from watching my previous lessons we have already gone over one precise method which many traders use for setting trailing stops, the Parabolic SAR. In tomorrow's lesson we are going to go over several other methods, so we hope to see you in that lesson.

As always if you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them in the comments section below so we can all learn to trade together, and good luck with your trading!

Course Index

  1. Intro to Technical Analysis
  2. Introduction to Dow Theory
  3. Second 3 Tenets of Dow Theory
  4. How to Read Stock Charts
  5. How to Trade Support and Resistance
  6. Multi Time Frame Analysis
  7. Introduction to the Double Top and Double Bottom Charting Pattern
  8. How to Trade Double Tops Like a Pro
  9. How to Trade the Head and Shoulders Pattern Part 1
  10. How to Trade the Head and Shoulders Pattern Part 2
  11. How to Trade the Wedge Chart Pattern Like a Pro Part 1
  12. How to Trade the Wedge Chart Pattern Like a Pro Part 2
  13. How to Trade the Flag/Pennant Patterns Like a Pro Part 1
  14. How to Trade the Flag/Pennant Patterns Like a Pro Part 2
  15. How to Trade Triangle Chart Patterns Like a Pro Part 1
  16. How to Trade Triangle Chart Patterns Like a Pro Part 2
  17. Learn to Trade with Technical Indicators
  18. How to Trade Moving Averages Like a Pro (Part 1)
  19. How toTrade Moving Averages Like a Pro (Part 2)
  20. How to Trade the MACD Indicator Like a Pro (Part 1)
  21. MACD Indicator: Trade it Like a Pro (Part 2)
  22. How to Trade the Relative Strength Index (RSI) Like a Pro
  23. How to Trade Stochastics Like the Pro's Do
  24. The Difference Between the Fast, Slow and Full Stochastic
  25. How to Trade Bollinger Bands - Stocks, Futures, Forex
  26. How to Trade the Average Directional Index (ADX)
  27. How to Trade the Parabolic SAR
  28. How to Trade Candlestick Chart Formations Part 1
  29. How to Trade Spinning Tops and Doji Candlestick Patterns
  30. How to Trade the Bullish/Bearish Engulfing Candlesticks
  31. How to Trade the Hammer Hanging Man Candlesticks
  32. How to Trade the Morning/Evening Star Candlestick Pattern
  33. How to Trade the Inverted Hammer/Shooting Star Patterns
  34. Why Most Traders Lose Money and The Solution
  35. Why Traders Hold On to Losing Positions
  36. Two Trading Mistakes Which Will Destroy Your Account
  37. Herd Mentality is the Psychology That Leads to Big Trading Losses
  38. Profit Expectations: What Millionaire Traders Know
  39. How to Join the Minority of Traders Who Are Successful
  40. How To Determine Where to Put Your Initial Stop Loss Order
  41. How to Use the Average True Range (ATR) To Set Stops
  42. How to Up Your Chances for Profit When Setting Stops
  43. How to Reduce the Chances of Being Stopped Out on a Trade
  44. How Successful Traders Use Indicators to Place Stops
  45. Stop Your Mind From Causing You to Take Profits Too Soon
  46. How To Use Trailing Stops
  47. Why Position Sizing is So Important in Trading
  48. Why Fixed Position Sizing Is Not the Best Way to Trade
  49. Trading The Martingale and Anti Martingale Strategies
  50. How to Set Trade Position Size for Maximum Profits
  51. Maximize Trading Profits with Correct Position Sizing 2
  52. Fundamental Analysis and The US Economy
  53. A Simple Explanation of the US Economy for Traders
  54. Simple Explanation of The US Economy For Traders Part 2
  55. The Business Cycle and Fiscal Policy - What Traders Know
  56. How Interest Rates Move Markets
  57. What Traders Know About Interest Rates Part 2
  58. What Traders Need to Know About The Structure of The Fed
  59. How the Fed Changes Interest Rates
  60. How to Determine When the Fed is Going to Change Rates
  61. Why Markets Move Ahead of Interest Rate Announcements
  62. How to Trade the GDP Number (Part 1)
  63. The Components of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP)
  64. Intro to Trading Non Farm Payrolls (NFP's)
  65. Trading the News - Economic Numbers - Retail Sales
  66. Trading the News - Economic Numbers - ISM Manufacturing
  67. The Producer Price Index (PPI)
  68. The Consumer Price Index (CPI)
  69. Trade the News - Existing Home Sales Index
  70. How To Interpret the Consumer Confidence Index (CCI)
  71. How to Interpret the Index of Leading Economic Indicators
  72. The Advantages and Disadvantages of Day Trading
  73. The Advantages and Disadvantages of Swing Trading
  74. The Advantages and Disadvantages of Position Trading
  75. How to Keep a Trading Journal
  76. The Most Important Attributes of a Good Trading Journal
  77. The 20 Components of a Successful Trading Plan

Course Description

This is a series of 77 short video lessons meant to give traders an introduction to the basics of trading as well as the components necessary to develop a profitable trading plan.

Comments

There are no comments. Be the first to post one.
  Post comment as a guest user.
Click to login or register:
Your name:
Your email:
(will not appear)
Your comment:
(max. 1000 characters)
Are you human? (Sorry)